Lead Graphic Designer
Lead Graphic Designer Inside IR35
Contract Term: 6 Months
Contracting Authority: Cabinet Office Government Digital Service (CO GDS)
Location: Hybrid - London
At the Government Digital Service (GDS), our mission is to build a simple, joined-up and personalised experience of government for everyone. Using our unique position at the centre of government, we develop services that work for the user, however complex the underlying systems may be. We believe that ensuring things work for end users is the only way to realise the efficiencies that come with digital transformation.
Our focus is on delivering five missions in the following areas:
- UK as the single and trusted online destination for government information and services
- Joined-up services that solve whole problems and span multiple departments
- A simple digital identity solution that works for everyone
- Common tools and expert services
- Joined-up data across departments
As a Lead Graphic Designer on GOV.UK you'll:
- Set graphic design direction across GOV.UK; shape its proposition and ensure it contributes to the wider organisational objectives and strategic priorities.
- Work effectively in a multidisciplinary, agile environment, adapting quickly to changes in requirements, priorities or user needs.
- Use research and analytics to understand user's needs, identify service failures and test different designs.
- Lead graphic design in a collaborative and open way, engaging teams with the design process and adapting it if necessary.
- Scope designers work and ensure that teams have the right kind of design support and highlight where complexity and dependencies lie.
- Collaborate closely with adjacent disciplines such as development, strategy and communications teams to develop coherently branded design work.
- Embed accessibility into the design process - through documentation, training, good practise and working closely with developers and the design system team.
- Analyse GOV.UK's design templates and components and find opportunities for reducing complexity while making sure that what is left is flexible and fit for future iterations.
- Work towards justice, equity and inclusion in the teams you work with and the services you help deliver.
- Work towards environmental sustainability of government and its services.
- Guide, support and mentor other designers and colleagues.
We're interested in people who:
- Design impactful, accessible, easy to understand information that works across a range of mediums.
- Work collaboratively across multidisciplinary teams and iterate designs using data and research.
- An adept communicator and storyteller who can persuasively engage non-designers in the design process, helping to guide the design direction for large and complex programmes of work.
- Reduce complexity and choose the most appropriate design approach balancing wider technical constraints and user needs.
- Can lead and mentor others, work strategically, and build good working relationships with frontend developers.
- Can explain design ideas and concepts in a way that other people understand - including visualising, sketching and prototyping.
- Can reflect critically on their work; thinking holistically about the big picture and dependencies, while working out details and being able to appreciate and articulate the broader implications.
If this role sounds like something that you would be interested in, please click the link to apply or get in touch with email@example.com
Should you require reasonable adjustments at any point during the recruitment process or if there is a more accessible way for us to communicate, please do let me know.
If you consider yourself to have a disability or if you are a veteran, and you meet the essential criteria for the role, PSR provides a 'Guaranteed Interview' scheme whereby you will have the opportunity to discuss this role and your suitability with a member of our PSR Sourcing team.
If you qualify, please notify us on PSRapplications@publicsectorresourcing.co.uk and we will be in touch.
In applying for this role, you acknowledge the following, this role falls in scope of the Off Payroll Working in the Public Sector legislation. Any rates of payment quoted will reflect the gross rate per day for the assignment and will be subject to appropriate taxes and statutory costs. As such the payment to the intermediary and your income resulting from this contract will be different.
Please be aware that this role can only be worked within the UK and not Overseas.